Stanford University, Mathematics
450 Serra Mall, Building 380
Stanford, CA 94305
I’m Ju Sun, a Math+X postdoctoral scholar working with Professor Emmanuel Candes at Stanford University. Prior to this, I obtained my PhD degree from Electrical Engineering, Columbia University in 2016, working with Professor John Wright.
Research Interests: foundations of machine learning, data sciences, and numerical optimization, with application to computer vision, signal/image processing, and computational imaging. See my [CV].
- Email: email@example.com \ \ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: 380 U, Sloan Hall
- Webpage: http://sunju.org
- INFORMS Annual Meeting 2019 at Seattle (Oct 20–23, 2019)
- Paper release: our new paper Dual-Reference Design for Holographic Coherent Diffraction Imaging is on arXiv. We show that augmenting both the pinhole and block references in holographic CDI can combine the best parts of both! (Feb 07, 2019)
- Paper release: full version of the paper Holographic Phase Retrieval and Optimal Reference Design on arXiv. We show how the difficult Fourier phase retrieval problem can be substantially simplified and robustly solved in practical CDI (i.e., Coherent Diffraction Imaging) setting, with a simple augmented reference. (Jan 22, 2019)
- Visiting Georgia Institute of Technology (Nov 29–30, 2018)
- Talk at SINE Seminar Coordinated Science Laboratory, UIUC (Nov 05, 2018)
- Paper release: full version of the paper Subgradient Descent Learns Orthogonal Dictionaries on arXiv. We show that nonconvexity and nonsmoothness can be tackled together rigorously on practical problems. (Oct 25 2018)
- 56th Annual Allerton Conference (Oct 02 – 05, 2018) [Slides]
- International Symposium on Mathematical Programming 2018 at Bordeaux, France (Jul 01 – 06, 2018)
- OSA Imaging and Applied Optics Congress (Jun 25 – 28, 2018)
- Applied Math And Analysis Seminar, Duke University (Feb 05 - 06, 2018)
- EE Departmental Seminars, Princeton University (Feb 01 - 02, 2018)
- Award: Honorable mention of doctoral thesis for the New World Mathematics Awards 2017 (Jan 30, 2018)
- Statistics Colloquium, University of Chicago (Jan 17, 2018)
- 2017 Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers at Asilomar Grounds in Pacific Grove, CA (Oct 29 - Nov 01, 2017)
- Phaseless Imaging in Theory and Practice: Realistic Models, Fast Algorithms, and Recovery Guarantees at IMA, Minnesota U. (Aug 14 - 18, 2017)
- Talk at Data Science Reading Group Seminar at ECE, Iowa State U. (Jul 28, 2017)
- 2017 Meeting of the International Linear Algebra Society at Iowa State U. (Jul 24 - 28, 2017)
- Math + Stat + X: Conference on the Occasion of Dave Donoho’s 60th at Stanford U. (Jun 23 - 25, 2017)
- Talk at ISS seminar, SEAS, Harvard U. (Jun 15, 2017).
- Phase Retrieval: Theory, Application and Algorithms (HKUST-ICERM) at ICERM, Brown U. (Jun 5 - 18, 2017).
- SIAM Conference on Optimization at Vancouver, Bristish Columbia, Canada. (May 22 - 25, 2017).
- Representation Learning Workshop at Simons Institute for the Theory of Computing, UC Berkeley (Mar 27 -31, 2017).
- Synergies between Machine Learning and Physical Models at IPAM, UCLA. (Dec 5 - 8, 2016)
- Start postdoc life @ Stanford U.! (Sep 06, 2016)
- Columbia years (2011 – 2016)