Over the last few years, deep neural networks (DNN) have fundamentally transformed the way people think of machine learning and approach practical problems. Successes around DNN have ranged from traditional AI fields such as computer vision, natural language processing, interactive games, to health care, physical sciences—touching each and every corner of theoretical and applied domains. On the other hand, DNN still largely operate as black-boxes and we only have very limited understanding as for when and why they work. This course introduces basic ingredients of DNN, samples important applications, and throws around open problems. Emphasis is put on thinking from first principles, as the field is still evolving rapidly and there is nothing there that cannot be changed.
Instructor: Professor Ju Sun Email: jusun AT umn.edu
When/Where: T/Th 2:30PM–3:45PM, Akerman Hall 225
The detailed syllabus, containing the office hours, recommended references, assessment, homework and project requirements, programming and computing, and other resources, can be found here: Syllabus.pdf
- (D2L) Dive into Deep Learning by Aston Zhang, Zachary C. Lipton, Mu Li, and Alexander J. Smola. Livebook.
- (DL) Deep Learning by Ian Goodfellow, Yoshua Bengio, Aaron Courville. MIT Press, 2016.
- (MNDL) Neural Networks and Deep Learning by Charu Aggarwal. Springer, 2018.
- (DLR) The Deep Learning Revolution by Terrence J. Sejnowski. MIT Press, 2018.
- (DLP) Deep Learning with Python by François Chollet. Livebook.
- (HDML) Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow (2ed) by Aurélien Géron. O’Reilly Media, 2019.
|01/23||Neural networks: old and new||Slides||DLP Ch 1, D2L Ch 3–4, MNDL Ch 2|
|01/28||Fundamental belief: universal approximation theorem|
|02/04||(Tutorial) Numpy, Scipy, Colab [Guest: Dr. Ben Lynch of MSI]|
|02/06||(Discussion) Project ideas|
|02/18||(Tutorial) Tensorflow, Pytorch, MSI GPU cluster [Guest: Dr. Ben Lynch of MSI]|
|03/10||SPRING BREAK – NO CLASS|
|03/12||SPRING BREAK – NO CLASS|
- Assignment 0 (Due: Feb 07)